Continuous-variable qubit states
Please have a go with my cv qubit space flight simulator! It is science, it is fun - what can you lose?
Using a squeezed vacuum source and an advanced photon subtraction technique, we succeeded in generating a large range of different superpositions of squeezed vacuum and squeezed single-photon states. These states can be interpreted as qubits with continuous-variable basis states.
The following animation illustrates this qubit space as a Bloch sphere. Each experimentally obtained state is represented by its Wigner function at the location on the Bloch sphere corresponding to its superposition parameters.
I have also developed an interactive applet that allows you to move around in the qubit space and investigate each state in detail. Go to the cv qubit applet here.
academic historyFull CV for download
- Bachelor studies in physics and mathematics at University of Copenhagen.
- Master studies in physics. My thesis work was carried out in the Quantop group at the Niels Bohr Institute, University of Copenhagen.
- PhD studies in experimental quantum optics at Quantop under the supervision of Prof. Eugene Polzik.
- March–May 2006
- Research exchange student in the Furusawa laboratory at the University of Tokyo.
- October 2008–September 2011
- Limited term researcher (post doc) in the Quantum ICT Group at NICT (National Institute of Information and Communications Technology) in Koganei, Tokyo.
- September 2011–
- Post doc in the Quantum Information Group at DTU (Technical University of Denmark) in Lyngby, Denmark.
My theses for download
Increasing the photon collection rate from a single NV center with a silver mirror
Assessments of macroscopicity for quantum optical states
Heralded generation of a micro-macro entangled state
Quantum tele-amplification with a continuous-variable superposition state
Amplification of realistic Schrödinger-cat-state-like states by homodyne heralding
Displacement-enhanced entanglement distillation of single-mode-squeezed entangled states
Breakdown of the classical description of a local system
Photon subtraction from traveling fields - recent experimental demonstrations
Engineering of optical continuous-variable qubits via displaced photon subtraction: multimode analysis
Optical continuous-variable qubit
Entanglement distillation from Gaussian input states
Time gating of heralded single photons for atomic memoriesDiscussed in Editor's Choice in Science 327 no. 5963.
High purity bright single photon source
Time-gated Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen correlation
Generation of a superposition of odd photon number states for quantum information networks
In conference proceedings, etc.
Continuous variable qubit state engineering
Quantum interface between light and atomic ensemblesLaser Spectroscopy. Proceedings of the XVIII ICOLS 2007, Eds. L. Hollberg, J. Bergquist, M. Kasevich, World Scientific (2008)
Narrow bandwidth optical Schrödinger kitten states and single photonsProceedings of the 8th International Conference on QCMC 2006, Eds. O. Hirota, J. H. Shapiro, and M. Sasaki (2007)
Two become oneNews & Views article covering the paper Joining the quantum state of two photons into one by Vitelli et al.
Bridging discrete and continuous variables in quantum information